Table of Contents
If you’re living in Durham and you’re looking for a reliable and trustworthy locksmith, you’re in luck. There are many locksmiths in the region that offer various services such as car unlock service, rekeying your home in Durham or rekeying your business in Durham, installation of mechanical and electronic locks, and many more. However, with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. In this article, we’ll provide you with a comprehensive guide on the services offered by a locksmith, the cost of their services, the most common door lock problems, security issues in old properties, and locksmith tips and tricks to help you make an informed decision.
Services Offered by a Locksmith
Locksmiths offer a wide range of services, including:
- Residential Services: Locksmiths can help you with any lock and key issues you may have in your home. This includes installation of new locks, rekeying your home in Durham, repairing damaged locks, and providing keyless entry systems.
- Commercial Services: Locksmiths can also help with all your business’s lock and key needs, including installing and repairing mechanical locks and electronic locks, rekeying your business in Durham, and providing access control systems.
- Automotive Services: If you’re locked out of your car, a locksmith can help you get back in with their car unlock service. They can also make new keys, replace damaged locks, and program keyless entry systems.
Cost of Locksmith Services
The cost of locksmith services varies depending on the type of service you need, the type of lock you have, and the time of day or night. Generally, locksmiths charge a service fee for coming to your location, and then additional fees for the specific service you require. For example, if you need a new key for your car, the cost will depend on the type of car you have and the complexity of the key. Rekeying a lock is usually less expensive than replacing it entirely.
It’s important to get an estimate before you agree to any service, so you know exactly what you’ll be paying. Be wary of locksmiths who quote an unusually low price, as this may be a sign of a scam.
Most Common Door Lock Problems
Door locks can be complex, and there are many issues that can arise.
Some of the most common problems include:
- Key Won’t Turn: If you’re having trouble turning your key, the lock may be damaged or worn out. This can happen over time, especially with older locks.
- Deadbolt Won’t Lock: If your deadbolt won’t lock, there may be a problem with the alignment of the lock and the strike plate. This can be fixed by adjusting the strike plate or replacing the deadbolt.
- Door Won’t Latch: If your door won’t latch properly, there may be an issue with the latch itself or the strike plate. This can usually be fixed by adjusting the latch or replacing the strike plate.
Security Issues in Old Properties
Older properties can present unique security challenges, as they may have outdated locks and security systems.
Some common security issues in old properties include:
- Weak or Worn Out Locks: Older locks may be easier to pick or break, which can make your property more vulnerable to theft or burglary.
- Lack of Security Features: Older properties may not have modern security features such as alarms, cameras, or keyless entry systems.
- Poorly Lit Areas: Older properties may have poor lighting, which can make it easier for intruders to enter your property unnoticed.
Locksmith Tips and Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks from professional locksmiths to help keep your property secure:
- Choose High-Quality Locks: Invest in high-quality locks that are difficult to pick or break. Look for locks that have a Grade 1 rating from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
- Upgrade Your Security System: Consider upgrading your security system with modern features such as alarms, cameras, and keyless entry systems. This can help deter burglars and provide you with peace of mind.
- Don’t Hide Spare Keys: Avoid hiding spare keys in obvious places such as under a doormat or flowerpot. Instead, give spare keys to trusted friends or family members.
- Maintain Your Locks: Regularly maintain your locks by lubricating them with graphite or oil. This can help prevent damage and prolong the life of your locks.
- Know Your Locksmith: Before you hire a locksmith, do some research to ensure they are reputable and trustworthy. Look for reviews and ratings online, and ask for references from friends or family members.
People Also Ask Related Questions
- What is the difference between mechanical locks and electronic locks? Mechanical locks are operated by physical keys, while electronic locks use keypads, biometric readers, or key fobs. Electronic locks offer additional security features and convenience, but may be more expensive than mechanical locks.
- What are keyless entry systems? Keyless entry systems allow you to lock and unlock your property using a code, fingerprint, or key fob. They offer additional security features and convenience, but may be more expensive than traditional locks.
- What should I do if I’m locked out of my car? If you’re locked out of your car, don’t panic. Call a reputable locksmith who offers car unlock services. Avoid using a coat hanger or other tools to try to unlock the car yourself, as this can cause damage.
- How can I prevent lockouts? To prevent lockouts, always carry a spare key with you, and consider leaving a spare key with a trusted friend or family member. Additionally, avoid rushing and double-check that you have your keys before leaving your property.
Choosing the right locksmith can be a daunting task, but with the right information, you can make an informed decision. Look for a locksmith who offers the services you need, and who is reputable and trustworthy. Keep in mind the cost of locksmith services, the most common door lock problems, security issues in old properties, and locksmith tips and tricks to help keep your property secure. By following these guidelines, you can ensure that you choose the right locksmith for your needs and keep your property safe and secure.